Monday, November 24, 2008

Mocha Banner

I was asked by Mocha Club to write about the concept of why ‘I need Africa more than Africa needs me.’ Mocha Club [www.mochaclub.org] is a community-based website where members can start a team and invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa

I need Africa more than Africa needs me.

I remember growing up sitting around with my family watching concerts put together by the best musicians in the world to help aid people in Africa. I was always oblivious to what was going on. I never really knew how big of an issue it was. I remember however seeing those images of the kids, who were sick or who had nothing. They wouldn't have been any older than I was at the time and I always thought to myself that it was like something out of a movie and that it could not be real. How could these people live in these places when I lived in a house, how come they had to walk miles for water when all had to do was walk to the kitchen and turn on the tap. I seen kids that had no clothes when I had a closet full of stuff I hardly ever wore. I remember just seeing the sadness and innocence on their faces.

This is something I have never forgotten. It makes me take for granted everything did I have. It makes me humble, It makes me not worry about the little things, I make me thankful. It makes me need Africa more than Africa needs me.

Share your thoughts in my comments, and even blog about it yourself. Join in the worthwhile cause!! Come back Dec 1st to see what Mocha Club is doing about reforming that image

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hi!! I came across your blog from the Mocha Club's list of posts about this... I posted as well :) thanks for sharing your thoughts w/ the world and spreading the word about all the good they are doing over here!!!

Carissa said...

I totally agree. I thought that by me going to Kenya I'd be an American and "Change the world." Little did i realize that it changed me more than i feel I changed them. It's funny how that happens. How God humbles us.