Thursday, October 30, 2008

Patriot Act - Midterm

This semester, for the first time, I have had the chance to study American history and the history of American politics. From my last blog you are probably aware that I do not have a huge interested in politics but I am frustrated at the level of some people's ignorance and stupidity.

Although I do not care too much about the current political race I have been very intrigued about the past leaders and the founding fathers of this country. And it was very interesting to see how this country has evolved over what it is a short time compared to their European counterparts. It is crazy to think about how the country was gone from slavery, segregation, the civil rights movement to a possible black President.

It really is astonishing, If someone had of told Thomas Jefferson (a slave owner) that there was going to a black president he probably would have laughed. I just think it is great that a country can learn and grow and evolve with the times. But anyway… In class we were discussing the Patriot Act. A lot of the class knew a lot about this and I just kind of stopped listening and was daydreaming a little. We are then asked to do questions for a homework assignment. So I thought it best to do some research and find out the bones of it. It was quiet shocking and highly interesting what I found out. It might not be as interesting for you, as most of you probably know a lot more about it.


In the aftermath of September 11, 2001, the day that shocked the world and had huge traumatic effect on the whole of America… Off the point, but it is weird living in America now as I can remember sitting in my house when it happened, I had just got home from school and was watching the news. It was unreal, like a movie. But I remember in school the next day and how everybody said that they would never live in America, and I was the same, but here I am now...weird. But anyway back to what I was saying.


I was shocked to learn On October 26, 2001 President George W. Bush signed a bill designed to combat terrorism. The bill passed hardly a week after the terrorist attacks and was passed with little debate. The bill was the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism, also known as The Patriot Act.


I also learned the Act increases the ability of law enforcement agencies to search telephone, e-mail communications, medical, financial and other records, and also eases restrictions on foreign intelligence gathering within the United States.

I thought this was crazy. My view of America was a country of independence, a place that prides itself on personal freedom. I just can't see how this Bill passed with little or no opposition. And how long would this last? I figured American's, due to being upset, angry and wanting protection did little to question this Bill. But as the grievance settled and emotions were replaced by rational thought a lot of American have come to realize that this Bill is not all that it was cracked up to be. Or is it?

Yes the large scale of the 9/11 attacks exposed some obvious and laughable security flaws in the American system. Terrorists easily slipped through immigration and airport checks, and even managed to live, train, and plan in the U.S. for several years. This undoubtedly has added an extra element to people’s fears. For all people know a terrorist could be living next door and this has put the nation at a great state of unease.

But where to you draw the line between personal freedom and national safety? The conclusion that I have come to is that if people want to live without fear, or a less degree of fear, then their personal liberties are going to have to take a step back from the forefront and make way for an Act that has been put their to protect them. I do not mean that they must give up their independence entirely but instead just embrace and try work side by side with a system put in place to help. And yes there are flaws in the system and in what system aren’t there flaws? That’s way America must try to work together to figure it out. And in the mean time if a diminutive part of peoples personal freedom is at stake then that is a small price to pay for the potential loss of millions of innocent people.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/terrorism.html
www.aclu.org
www.Wikipedia.com

2 comments:

Danielle said...

It's interesting to hear about this from your perspective, especially since you weren't living in the country at the time. I agree that the act passed so easily because people were afraid and insecure -- try passing something like that now, and see how far you'd get! I'm not particularly worried about the whole phone tap deal -- I figure I'm not doing anything illegal, so why worry?

Jacob said...

It is true that any effort to save lives is a worthy one but I think that those founding fathers you talked about were turning over in their graves as the country passed it. A fundamental principle of American revolutionary thinking was never to trade liberty for security and that is precisely what we have done. This country forgets its history far too quickly. When America declared its independance the people were throwing off the chains of a tyrannical government. The founding fathers came up with a bill of rights to safeguard against the new government ever reverting to such tyranny and now here we are eroding those safeguards. I'm not saying a facist police state is around the corner, but once we begin chipping away at personal liberties it is a slippery slope. I know one thing, if we ever fall under an abusive executive authority people will be screaming about civil liberties.