Thursday, January 15, 2009

what ethics means to me

For me being ethical is doing something or saying something while keeping your integrity. It is making decisions that you feel to be right and just. It is standing up for who you are without having negative connotations that might effect or hurt others. Ethics is doing the right thing. It is doing things by the book.

That saying 'doing things by the book' has always played on my mind. I never knew there was a 'book' on ethics, but it dawned on me the book could refer to the Bible. The Bible is what we have used to shape our lives, laws and code of ethics. Everyday we try our best to follow these rules and live up to these expectations but we are only human and therefore are faced with tough decisions, decisions that call our personal code of ethics into play.

Lying, cheating, stealing etc are all unethical but are still done everyday but I can bet you more times than not these people do not have an once of integrity or self worth. I can sleep comfortable at night knowing the decisions I make are done by the book to the best of my ability.

One practice that I find really unethical is when people use others for there own personal gain. We they take advantage of others in a harmful way. It was released this week that the Sean John clothing line, manufactured by Pdaddy or puff diddy or whatever he is calling himself is making top of the line gear in sweat shops exploiting people. it was reported in Vogue by a former worker that, "workers were forced to suffer horrific abuse every day. We were forced to work like slaves. We were enslaved... that they were constantly verbally and physically abused, forced to work unpaid overtime, limited to two bathroom visits per day, given mandatory pregnancy tests, fired if found to be pregnant and paid just 14 pence for each £30 Sean John sweat shirt they made."

How could somebody have integrity doing something like this?? Where do ethics come into play?

3 comments:

candiceybarra said...

That angers me! How could Sean John allow that to happen, or anyone for that matter! Is a materialistic, over-priced piece of cloth truly worth endangering the lives of innocent human being who by the way probably will not ever make enough money to afford the very product they are forced to produce? This world is so messed up.

S said...

I suppose that is why it is so difficult to define ethics. It seems like a very thin line to walk: Maintaining your own standards or beliefs without infringing upon those of others.(p.s. I love that Candice said it 'angers' her) . . . . ( :

Andrew Hochradel said...

I can't stand it when people take advantage of each other either. Some ethics are "bendable" but I won't budge on my view for that one. Ethics have become a person to person view, which it should not be.